On just about any college campus, you'll discover the uber-cool, ultra creative fashion crowd (watch these style mavens and take notes) to the just-rolled-out-of-bed in my VS PINK sweats crew—and everything in between. So your best bet is to start out with some simple yet stylish basics, then add in the occasional new piece as your style evolves and you figure out what works best with your routine and your unique personality.
Get a kick-start with these three mix-and-match outfit ideas, all featuring items well under $100 (click any set for details on all items shown):
 Simple yet cool basics create a foolproof foundation for back-to-school style.
 Put your stamp on this basic party look with fun makeup and accessories. Swap the heels for boots and you're ready for class.
 Look cute and comfy while you pay down those tuition bills in a versatile plaid shirt-dress and ballet flats.
And here's a FALL FASHION 2009 Checklist for the College Bound:
- Dark-wash bootcut jeans
- Dark-wash skinny jeans (distressed, if you care for the latest trends)
- Long sleeve flyaway cardigans in black, gray (buy best you can afford for warmth, longevity)
- Black leggings
- Long plaid shirt/ Plaid shirt-dress
- Oversized scoop-neck pocket tees in gray, black, white (rayon cotton blends won't wrinkle)
- Low-heel knee-high leather boots
- Mid-heel ankle boots
- A couple soft, warm scarves
- One great coat, preferably wool-blend trench coat in red, gray, black, etc.
- One sexy bomber, preferably (p)leather
- One pair "fierce" heels
- One pair "cool" kicks
- One pair leather ballet flats
- Boyfriend watch (don't want to be late for class!)
- Tiny purse with strap (for partying)
- Oversized handbag or tote for notebooks, pens, lipgloss, keys, phone, wallet, lap top
- Comfy jersey drawstring pants and tee for lounging, sleeping
Readers: What did I miss?