Without a doubt, the latest tool that's helping fashionistas shop smart and save is the smartphone (ie., iPhone, Blackberry, Android—any mobile phone with advanced capabilities like internet access). By now I'm sure many of you use mobile coupons and some of you are possibly even using Google Shopper for Android phones. By simply pointing the camera of any Android device toward a product or barcode—or by just speaking your request, the application can find reviews, pricing, availability online or at other stores, and more. Here's a quick video on how it works, and below is some more information on features:
- Detailed product information: Find prices, reviews, specs, and more. Shopper is powered by Google Product Search.
- Scan the covers of books and media: Find a product by simply pointing your camera phone at the cover art of a book, CD, DVD, or video game.
- Barcode scanning: Scan the barcode of almost any product to quickly learn more about it.
- Search by voice: Say the name of a product and find it easily in Shopper.
- Save your history and favorites: Shopper saves your history and lets you star your favorites for later.
hare your finds with friends: Find something you want to share? Click on the share link to post to Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, Instant Messaging, etc.
My boyfriend uses Google Shopper all the time and I must say it's pretty impressive, especially the first couple times you see it in action. I'm stuck in the stone age with my lame cell phone that doesn't even have web access (pathetic considering I'm a blogger, but these things cost money!). Someday soon I hope to join the modern world and get a smartphone, too. I think it would be so helpful to take to stores like T.J. Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, outlet malls, etc. so you can comparison shop in real time and know if you're really getting a good deal or not.
How about you, do you use your smartphone to save money on fashion? Which apps are best?