This winter, my uniform consists of a black wool peacoat (distinguished by antique star-shaped bronze buttons and a colorful satin lining), black knee-high leather boots with a short heel, a black oversized faux-leather handbag, and dark wash skinny jeans. Fabulous gloves and scarves round out the look and add a personal touch, not to mention more snuggly warmth.
Strolling around town this weekend, I noticed I was certainly not alone in my thinking - seems like every fashionable gal was wearing some combination of the following:
- Dark colors: Strategically mixing black, navy and brown is no longer a fashion faux-pas
- Large leather purse and coordinating knee-high boots: Nothing too matchy. Make sure boots are comfy and waterproofed. Big purses are a fashion statement - don't overpack.
- Dark tights: Along with gray, black and navy, deep purple or blue work well, as do textured styles.
- Scarves, especially the pashmina kind are everywhere - and they are fab.
- Black: It's always in style.
- Wool coats: All you need is one great fitting, warm wool coat. Look for one with a belt (or add your own) to create a slimming silhouette. In addition to black, I love wool coats in red or houndstooth.
- Flat or low-heeled knee high boots in dark brown or black leather: Choose wisely according to how much walking you do; pick a heel that can withstand ice and snow.
The best part of having a winter uniform is that all its essential components (listed above) can be purchased at reasonable prices. You also can't go wrong spending a little bit more on pieces you'll wear season after season, say, a black wool coat or sturdy leather boots. Buy inexpensive accessories like scarves, tights, gloves, hats, leg warmers, belts and yes, even handbags, at budget fashion shops like H&M, Forever 21 or Target. These add instant character and renovate your look.
Share details of your winter uniform in the comments.
Here are some pics I snapped to showcase a classic "east coast" winter uniform. The first two photos demonstrate this pretty well.
Looks like these girls were going out; as temps drop, I'm guessing they'll add tights and boots, too...