This is a great question, as there are a lot of similar lace-up boots in stores right now and styling them can be a bit challenging. I think the trick to pulling them off (and I definitely think you can!) is to make sure the styling looks intentional. If your socks show, make sure they coordinate with the rest of your look.
Here are 6 ways to wear your desert boots for reference:
1. With tights: Wear your desert boots or other low profile lace-up booties with tights and an above-the-knee skirt or dress. Sweater tights in dark colors seem to work best.
2. With socks: Pick a chunky sock in a wool or cashmere blend and kinda scrunch them down a bit. Experiment to find the sock that works for your legs.
3. With skinny jeans: You can completely cover the top of the shoe with a skinny jean or legging. Pick a dark sock in a hue that matches the color of your jeans so that if they show when you sit, they won't visually break up that line.
4. With a tightly rolled cuff: Here we see the jeans have been rolled up just a bit so as not to cover the top of the boot, but there's still really no sock line visible.
5. With a loosely cuffed pant: Here we have a rolled cuff on a chino or khaki pant, which is wider than the ankle, and the ankles are bare. No socks needed.
6. With a flare-leg or boot cut jean: The simplest option is to just cover much of your shoe with a flare or boot cut jean. Totally legit, although you won't get to show off your cool shoes quite as much.
Which look is your favorite? How do you wear desert boots or other lace-up ankle boots?
Photos via landsendcanvas.com