Street style in Boston and Manhattan. (The Sartorialist, I am not.)
One of the good things about living on the East Coast is that everything is relatively close together. You can be in Boston one weekend and New York City the next without the hassle of flying. This is all rather new and exciting for a girl who grew up in Chicago, and of course, my favorite part about traveling is scoping out the local fashions.
So what is everyone wearing?
- For locals and tourists alike, the summer wardrobe across the board seems to be dresses, dresses and more dresses!
- Footwear is largely flip-flops or gladiator sandals (yay!).
- Metallic handbags are ridiculously popular for day and night. But the more stylish ladies seem to gravitate toward slouchy tan leather bags, cross-body bags or supple woven styles.
- Tank tops of every color and short shorts are also ubiquitous.
- Maxi dresses are another very popular trend, everywhere I turn I seem to see women of all ages in floor-length frocks, usually styled with a laid-back bohemian vibe.
- Skin is also in: When temperatures soar, no one hesitates to show lots of it.
- Prints run the gamut from florals and paisley to ombre, ethnic prints, checks, stripes, eyelet and everything in between!
So what makes certain women stand out in a crowd when just about anything goes?
- A great fit coupled with good posture, no visible bra straps or pantylines and nothing overly tight all contribute to making a gal look fab.
- Despite my support of bright colors, women in neutral hues (black, white, tan, gray and/or navy) tend to look especially classy and put-together.
- Natural fibers like cotton and fabrics that move and drape effortlessly, such as modal. All polyester is not good for hot weather (itchy and hot).
- A look that conveys a message. This is perhaps one of the most difficult things to achieve or teach...be mindful of your accessories and avoid wearing trends head-to-toe.
- Traveling light. Overstuffed handbags, or my least favorite trend - carrying multiple bags - makes one appear encumbered and uncool.
What's your summer "uniform"? What are the best and worst trends in your town?