I've gotten a couple requests regarding how to wear ankle boots, which are boots that end at or just above the ankle. These boots are especially hot for Fall 2009, but here are some things to consider should you choose to wear them:
- If you're tall, you're in luck—for the most part: Ankle boots can make even the leggiest lass look stubby, so use a mirror. Dare to wear your ankle boots with bare legs and a mini dress.
- If you're short: Pair your ankle boots with tights, leggings or pants that are the same color as the boot to create the longest line possible. Ankle boots have a tendency of visually chopping you off at the ankle, so be aware of this. Try topping your look with a fitted, cropped jacket to elongate your torso.
- If you're plus size: Go for a monochromatic look on the bottom to slim and lengthen your silhouette. Pair with something like an a-line, 3/4-length-sleeve dress in a body skimming (not hugging) fabric that falls at or just above the knee.
- Everyone: I'm stating the obvious here, but the higher the heel, the more height you'll get, hence the more likely you are to nail this look. But I love ankle boots with a low-heel, too, since they're more comfortable for daily wear. And anything over 4 inches can start to look vampy. Also, below-the-knee and long skirts don't seem to work with ankle boots no matter what your body type. Looks frumpy.
Here are 3 ways to wear ankle boots now (shown above):
- Left: With dark tights. On top, you could really wear any number of dresses, but I've chosen a very of-the-moment girly floral dress and black leather jacket combo. Difficulty level: Easy as pie.
- Center: With cropped pants. Notice how that little chunk of white flesh visually breaks up my leg line? Yeah, it's not the most flattering thing in the world but it does have a fashion-y vibe that I like. You could wear dark tights under your pants to streamline the look (or add warmth when its cold). Try this look with harem pants if you're uber brave; cigarette pants if you're like me and slightly less of a risk-taker. Difficulty level: Hard
- Right: With leggings. This season, there are dozens of prints and fabrics to choose from for your leggings. The simplest solution is to pick black leggings with black ankle boots. Tuck in or scrunch over depending on the circumference of the boot shaft. Difficulty level: Intermediate
- Not shown: Another option would be to wear your ankle boots with skinny jeans, but I figure you've seen enough of me in those. The look is similar to leggings except, of course, you'd be wearing a more substantial pair of pants.
Will you be wearing ankle boots this season? How do YOU style them?