On the Fall 2007 Y-3 runway, legwarmers add a pop of color and welcome texture when worn with a skirt, dress, or even shorts.
Style.com writer Meenal Mistry calls the latest collaboration between Yohji Yamamoto and Adidas "an approximation of the consciously haphazard way teenagers dress themselves," no doubt in large part because of the casual and functional way that leg warmers were scrunched, bunched and layered throughout - but in our opinion, this is a compliment. Intentional chaos can be a good thing in fashion, especially when it echoes the reality of winter weather (and sometimes, our tastes in fashion). So block out those unsavory memories of '80s aerobics classes past, and consider with an open mind the many fresh, new ways you can rock this look today (click pics for details...)
1. Pair leg warmers with a gray dress and black tights for a sleek, modern look. (Asos.com)
2. Wear legwarmers over leggings or footless tights with flats (never with flip-flops unless you live on an island). (Target.com)
3. Allow leg warmers to peak out anywhere from 2-6 inches beneath boots (or ankle booties). Try it with UGGs, too. (Forever21.com)
4. Slip legwarmers over skinny jeans and pair with booties. (UrbanOutfitters.com)
5. Pull leg warmers over the heel of a pair of killer pumps, with sheer hose. (These are by Alice & Olivia; we found a similar pair at Urban Outfitters.)
5. Take your cues from the dance world and don legwarmers to your next yoga or Pilates class. (American Apparel)