Summer seems to bring out both the best and the worst in us when it comes to fashion. On the one hand, we have flirty sundresses, strappy sandals and wide-brimmed hats. On the other hand, we have Daisy Dukes, unkempt feet in flip-flops and exposed bra straps (or worse). So don't get caught on the wrong side of the sartorial tracks—stay on the sunny side of summer style with the following suggestions...
- Flip-flops should not be worn to the office. Honestly, your co-workers don't want to see that. That's not to say you can't wear other sandal styles, just be conscious of the professional culture in your workplace when selecting a shoe.
- While we may offend some of our vertically-challenged fashionista friends with the following piece of advice, it must be said that platform flip-flops are one of summer fashion's biggest disasters. Sure, they elevate your toes from the nitty-gritty of city streets, but they look ridiculous. If you crave height, try a stylish wedge (or a stylish platform for that matter). But please, do not wear platform flip-flops. They're so Britney. We think that says it all.
- Which brings us to the pedicure: it is not necessary to get a pedicure in order to make your feet look presentable. In fact, announcing that you "reeeeally need a pedicure" is no excuse for unkempt feet. That's like saying, "my hair is filthy because I haven't been to the hairdresser in weeks" or "my teeth are rotting because I haven't been to a dentist in months." People, it's basic hygiene. When did we adopt the idea that you have to shell out $30 for someone else to make your feet look presentable? If you're between pedis, you still need to take the time to exfoliate and moisturize your feet, as well as trim your toenails. Nailpolish is optional.
- Another big fashion no-no is the ankle bracelet, or anklet. The only person who should be wearing an ankle bracelet this summer is Paris Hilton under house arrest. Skip the anklets, they're tacky and have yet to become chic.
- Finally, just because it's hot doesn't mean you can walk around half-nekked. Layers tank tops if necessary to cover bra straps, overexposed cleavage and midriffs. Skip the shorts shorts unless your thighs are the size of pipe cleaners. And be aware of see-through fabrics for skirts, dresses and anything white.