Ikat is one of my favorite prints for both fashion and home decor - I have an amazing pair of ikat print shorts as well as a chic ikat rug, and both always feels timeless yet on-trend. But surprisingly enough, I had never tried the ikat nail art trend - until now! Inspired by Sally Hansen's gorgeous polishes (get them at Target!), I created my own version of ikat nails that's bright, graphic and perfect for summer. Keep reading for the how-to!
What you'll need:
- Light blue nail polish (I used Sally Hansen Insta-Dry in “Blue Away”)
- Red nail polish (I used Sally Hansen Triple Shine in “Red Snapper”)
- White nail polish (I used Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Xtreme Wear in “White On”)
- Black nail art pen (I used Sally Hansen's Nail Art Pen in Black)
- Your favorite base and top coats, like Sally Hansen’s Double Duty 2-in-1 Base and Top Coat, or Sally Hansen’s Insta-Dri for a fast dry
Prep nails using your favorite Sally Hansen nail file. Since ikat is such a loud print, I went with a short, rounded square shape on my nails.
Step 1.: Prep your nails with a base coat, like Sally Hansen’s Double Duty
Step 2: Paint two coats of your blue polish.
Step 3. Add two to three dabs of red polish to each nail.
Step 4: Create a smaller dab using your white polish within each red shape.
Step 5: Using your nail art pen, create a jagged outline around each red shape, plus a black triangle within each white shape. The great thing about ikat is that it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!
Step 6: Top it off with a top coat, like Sally Hansen’s Double Duty or Insta-Dri and you’re good to go!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Sally Hansen and Style Coalition.