Wardrobe staples need not be boring. [luckymag.com]
I am 19-years-old [and] I want to know some essentials that I should have in my closet. When ever I google this question I get the "7 Essentials for Women" which normally include good jeans, a little black dress, and khaki slacks. I want more than that! So my questions are: Do these "basic essentials" apply to my age group? And if so, how can I spice them up? —Sammy
Pinning down seven wardrobe essentials for any age group is a tricky question as so much depends on your body type, fashion persona and lifestyle...but they can lay the foundation for a polished wardrobe AND help you stick to your budget. Here are some common must-haves that I think definitely work well for your age group...with my own little twist (khakis not included!):
1. White Short Sleeve V Neck: Usually, those "essentials" lists include a collared, button-down white shirt but I never wore one when I was 19. Too fussy, too hard to keep clean and ironed. Opt for the perfect tee instead, like this one from American Apparel. Be sure to wear the perfect, nude bra underneath.
2. Dark Wash Jeans: Yes, every woman needs a perfect pair of jeans. They should be a dark wash, nice long inseam, with a little stretch. Bootcut looks good on everyone. Go for skinnies if the style suits you.
3. Fab Cardigan: Some "essentials" lists include a twinset but those can be too stuffy for girls your age. A modern dolman, wrap cardigan or boyfriend style cardi looks especially young and fashionable.
4. Little Black Dress: Cliche? Yes, but they really are essential and perfect for any occasion that may come up.
5. Pencil Skirt: A-lines are great, too, but I find the black pencil skirt is more versatile. And sexier.
6. Blazer: I could have said "pantsuit" but honestly, I haven't worn black slacks since the '90s. And while you might need a suit for interviews, if we're talking daily wardrobe essentials, then I think a feminine, fitted blazer is all you need.
7. Trench: Figure-flattering and suitable for any event.
Now, for the spice: The obvious answer is it's all in your accessories! Strive for individuality, beginning with your glasses (if you wear them), your haircut (a great 'do speaks volumes), and if you like, a chic watch. Next, you'll need amazing shoes--they can make or break your whole look--and a great handbag, which doesn't have to cost a lot at all. Finally, think about jewelry. Go for a statement necklace, bracelet, ring OR earrings, don't wear all at once.
What's on your list of wardrobe essentials?