If you're looking for creative ways to stretch your style budget this season, you are not alone! In a recent poll that we ran here at The Budget Babe, 29% of readers said they've cut down on fashion expenditures due to the slumping economy, while 52% reported that they were sticking closely to their already-frugal ways.
To help me stick to my limited budget, I made a list of all the things I really need (yes, need! Gotta feed my inner fashionista) for fall/winter. Making a list before you shop is a great way to get the wardrobe you really want, without racking up the debt you don't want. Think of it as building a tightly-edited European-style wardrobe where each piece is a hit.
These are the items I think are worth investing in this season:
- Drape-front cardigan
- Long button-front sweater vest
- Sweater dress
- Black and white striped turtleneck
- Wool or cashmere blend boyfriend cardigan
- Long sleeve layering tees in black, gray, white, ink blue, and/or dark purple
- Little black dress
- Black tuxedo blazer
- Black leather bomber jacket
- Wool peacoat or trench
- Wool or cashmere blend scarf or pashmina
- Wool or cashmere blend beanie/fitted cap/beret
- Wool or cashmere blend cashmere long gloves
- Oversized handbag in black, brown, or gray leather
- Black, brown or gray tall boots
- Ankle boots
- Wide leather belt in black and/or brown
- Charcoal gray opaque tights
- Black leggings
[Above: My idea of the perfect look for Fall. Photo courtesy of Shopbop.com]
What's on your Fall fashion checklist?